Saturday, June 13, 2009

Are You Afraid of Relationships?

True story; I was visiting my brother and his family a week ago. They have a prayer group at their house every Sunday night for dinner, discussion, and prayer. And, apparently, all are welcome...even sinners like myself. Anyways, I was staying for the weekend, so I was the first one there and I had the opportunity to meet and greet people as they walked in.

A few were already there and the gathering was starting in the kitchen and I was conversing with a couple of others and for some reason we were talking about relationships, when all of a sudden, one woman, who I had not met yet, kind of butted into the conversation from the side...let's call her Betty. So, Betty leans in and blurts out, "You know, the word engagement has the word 'gag' in it!" There was a moment of silence in our little group. But, Betty wasn't done. She then let loose with, "And if you transposed the 'I' and 'T' in marital, you get martial!" Another second of silence. Still not done shocking us, Betty says, "I'm proud to say that I am happily single, if you haven't noticed!" Well, it was time to respond and I didn't hesitate any longer. Bear in mind, this is the first time that I am meeting any of these folks. I say back to Betty, loud enough for all to hear, "No, you're NOT! You are cynically single" When I said that I was not sure how anyone would receive my response, after all, this was prayer meeting. Luck was with me. The entire room had tuned in and when I said that, everyone burst out laughing!

I found out later, from my brother, that Betty was a rabble-rouser by nature and this was the only meeting that she was allowed to attend. Because of her demeanor and other indiscretions, which I won't go into, she has been barred from attending any of their other gatherings.

Anyways, somehow I got to talking about how I was catching an early flight out on Tuesday morning. My brother and I would be waking at 4 AM to get to the airport on time and when Betty heard that, she piped in how she gets up at 4 AM every day. I immediately puckered up, seeing visions of Betty pulling into the driveway in the darkness Tuesday morning to take me to the airport. Fear got the best of me and perhaps saved me in this case. I changed the subject before it got off the ground. "Did you know, I made the roasted potatoes we're having for dinner tonight?"

No comments: